Monday, January 24, 2011

Cold Weather Attire


Hi Runners!
I am so excited to write my very first engage blog :)  I wanted to take a few minutes to address a major concern for many of us: the cold.  In case you haven't left the couch or your snuggie for a couple months, you probably realize that it is basically frigid in Blacksburg.  Well take heart, my fellow runners, there is a way to run outdoors and not die of hypothermia.  I am going to give you some tips from head to toe that work for me.  Please feel free to comment back with your own suggestions.

Head:  For me once it gets to the low 30s or 20s it is nice to have a fleece headband to protect the ears.  Others prefer a tight stocking hat.  Additionally, many runners start breaking this out around 45 degrees.

Upper body:  For the temperature it has been this week and last week, I like to wear a dry-fit or technical long-sleeve shirt.  Then I wear either a track jacket or cotton long-sleeve shirt over that.  Today I even broke out a light fleece vest over that because sometimes my middle just really needs another layer.

The dry-fit shirt on bottom is great because it wicks/ pulls moisture (aka sweat) away from your body.  This keeps you from getting too hot in the summer.  In the winter it can keep you warmer because the sweat doesn’t start to freeze or get cold on your body.  Sometimes even in cold temps cotton can get really hot if it is the base layer.

Also, gloves are a great addition.  I usually shed them mid-run, but they make the beginning way more pleasant especially with the wind.

Lower body:  There is lots of room to play around with this one so I’ll just give my personal preference, but it probably doesn’t matter all that much as long as you are comfortable.  Recently I have become the biggest fan of tight, moisture wicking pants.  SO NERDY to me, yet SO AWESOME.  I’m going to be really open and tell you why- no chub rub from a saggy, droopy pants.  If you don’t know what I’m saying let’s talk in person.  The legs just glide so much smoother, and my muscles feel nimble.  Runners high all the way.
Foot wear:  For me this has stayed the same.  I know some people will wear wool socks.  I think that’s a little overboard, but if you disagree feel free to rebuke me.

That’s almost all for now.  I have to share the single best piece of running attire advice I have ever received.  My fiancé Alex’s dad told me this, and it hasn’t failed me yet.  He said: if you are warm at the start, you are over-dressed.  This is seemingly simple, but oh boy is it true.
See you all Wednesday!  Looking forward to putting same names to faces J

Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment